Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Giving Birth At 50

Becoming mother at 50 'no risk to health'
From Mark Henderson, Science Editor, in New Orleans

WOMEN who give birth in their fifties are just as healthy, both physically and psychologically, as those who start families much earlier in life, according to research that will significantly strengthen the case against upper-age limits for fertility treatment.


I'd need way more Percocet first. When I was 50, Sarah was 31...I had grandchildren, thank you very much. But then again, Tabby was born when I was about that age so maybe I'll fit in better now with all these older moms. As it is, it's weird enough having kids and grandkids in the same grade, or Tabby an aunt to a middle-schooler.

I did wear my PJs to the meeting and I was super impressed with the director of the alternative school as well as with every aspect about it. Fabian is already now enrolled and attending classes hardly 12 hours after returning home.

He'd had to put on my shoes and socks for me since I can neither bend in the middle, nor use my stomach muscles which were cut through in surgery. I'm exhausted from my first outing and still have a 4 o'clock IFI meeting here this afternoon.

But Emily brought over delicious muffins she must have baked this morning and I'm stuffing my face.

2 comments:

Kerri in WV said...

Cindy~

It is so good to have you back :) And it is a blessing to read how God has used this time to show your kids the security of family and extended family.

Rest and heal!

Kerri

Mom in MN said...

This is a funny email I received about having a baby when you're "older". I love it!

Just in case any of you were contemplating having another baby. With all the new
technology regarding fertility recently, a 65 year old woman was able to give
birth to a baby.

When she was discharged from the hospital and went home, her relatives came to
visit.

"May we see the new baby?" one asked. "Not yet," said the mother. I'll make
coffee and we can visit for awhile first."

Thirty minutes had passed, and another relative asked, "May we see the new baby
now?" "No, not yet," said the mother.

After another few minutes had elapsed, they asked again, "May we see the baby
now?"

"No, not yet," replied the mother.

Growing very impatient, they asked, "Well, when can we see the baby?" "WHEN HE CRIES!" she told them.

"WHEN HE CRIES?" they demanded to know why. "Why do we have to wait until he CRIES?"

"BECAUSE, I forgot where I put him."