Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What's Wrong With Us?



I don't know why my brain functions as it does, but it does. I fret over water thrown in the trashcan at fast food restaurants, in the form of discarded ice cubes, then hermetically sealed up to be thrown away in the landfill, lost forever to society. The same goes for half filled water bottles tossed as if there were not a world wide water shortage.

I don't even go to fast food restaurants, preferring the slow food movement.

Why don't restaurants compost their food waste? Think of all the food forever lost and the starving kids everywhere. Don't tell me it doesn't happen in the U.S. when so many of us parent children who now have food hoarding issues due to very severe lack in their pasts.

Topsoil disappearing at alarming rates and we Americans don't automatically compost?

What's wrong with us?

I truly and deeply believe we'll have to answer to God someday about all we've done in harming His earth. I know I'll have to explain my broken plates. Oops, sorry about that.

I was astonished, at the beach, that the Surgeon General's warning on cigarettes from 1964, has still not been heeded, especially among the mullet heads I saw. Smoking cigarettes on the beach? Blasphemous. Dangling from their mouth, getting in my kid's nasal passages, prompting shocked complaints to me as if I were the mama of all?

Call me judgemental and reactionary, but I truly believe there'll come a time when sodas are looked upon the same way as cigarettes, as adult onset diabetes is exploding amongst our population. I'm also very aware of the lobbying industry that'll attempt to counteract the very obvious, simple facts.

"The United States ranks first among countries in soft drink consumption. The per-capita consumption of soft drinks is in excess of 150 quarts per year, or about three quarts per week."

"Soft drink consumption in children poses a significant risk factor for impaired calcification of growing bones."


And what about the money involved? Aren't we in a recession? Who can afford this wastefulness? Not me. Three quarts a week? Makes me wanna puke at the thought.

Am I just eccentric? Too much time on my hands? Too logical?

How did our society swamp itself into deeply believing that every drink one takes should be a chemical laden morass of sugar that profit mongering, conscience-less corporations push upon unknowing consumers? How dang nasty is that?

Am I way too opinionated?

Maybe so.

Last night at dinner I faced Jack in his mask. He ate like this, cracking me up. Paloma had taken scraps of fabric and spent the entire day dressing kids up. Mayra's Facebook status read, "I'm watching my brothers in dresses dancing to Hannah Montana songs." A good thing about school starting will be the silence that will ensue.

The kids played soccer until dark, full of imaginations, short on conventional toys, and having a mama rail against much of society's pitfalls all contribute to a love of the outdoors and creativity springing up within them all.

After football practice, CW and Chuy both cooked, from scratch, their favorite pasta dishes with fresh tomatoes and basil, sea salt and olive oil - this after red beans, corn and brown rice for dinner. Maybe they were worn out from the haircuts, as we'd descended upon SuperCuts, Javy, Dubs, Martin and Chuy, for their back-to-school hairdo marathon it seemed, as my own eyes glazed over in pure T boredom. Long gone are the glorious days of backyard buzz cuts since my teens are so vain.

I ran to Starbucks, hauling home a ton of grinds as folks in Georgia seemingly abandon their gardens in the dead heat of summer, sadly leaving little competition for the grinds.

Sabrina and Tabby go back to the dentist today, as we attempt to undo the early childhood dental neglect they'd both suffered. My parents had modeled to me the necessity of twice yearly dental visits, something I want to impose upon my children as well.

Onions can be fall planted in Georgia and I believe I grew the best ever this year. Feed the soil with compost, leaf mulch, wood chips and manure and one's plants will thrive. It's that kind of simplicity within the food web that sucks me in excitedly, giving great purpose to my existence, filling me with anticipatory joy. So maybe I am only simple-minded, but it's with a purpose and an end result. I always feared growing up to be bitter and unfulfilled, bored and lost. So far it's only bitterness that I fight, and that's in regards to issues that my children just can't help reacting to, thus constantly affecting me as well.

I want everything to make sense to me. I want to harvest and contain sparse rainfall, depend upon the sun for my power needs, eat what I produce, reduce, reuse, recycle, rethink, I want to use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

I want to be held accountable for everything I do or say, I want to strive forward, make progress, educate my children, and learn more my ownself every single day of the year. I want to set more goals and reach them all.

I want to change things. I want to help folks. I want to be self-sufficient and responsible. I want to pre-cycle - not even buy stuff in the first place. I drink three or four quarts of water every single day, not in plastic bottles but out of our well in glass jars. Hard on our dishes, I rinse out jelly jars and we drink from them, recycling later those that don't break.

I want to think hard about every item I put in my buggy at Kroger...

It's this kind of stuff that makes me happy and satisfied, when my life makes sense, when I'm not contributing to the downfall of society, but instead participating in the circle of life.

Weird or not, it's what moves me.

The Freedom Gardens inspire me constantly - what can be done on a small plot is amazing to me.

4 comments:

Momma Moe said...

I love your way of thinking...keep sharing!

Cindy said...

Momma Moe, Uh Oh...you're encouraging me!

Anonymous said...

applause!!

Cindy said...

Thank you, and a bow.