Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Am I Happy? What About Money?


"Your best music is still inside you. – The only way for us to have long-term happiness and success is to live by our highest principles, to consistently act in accordance with what we believe our life is in fact about.  That music you hear inside you motivating you to take risks and follow your dreams is your instinctive calling to the true purpose in your heart and mind.  Don’t ignore it.  Be enthusiastic about all that you do, and the possibilities that lie ahead.  Have the courage to pursue your calling.  Don’t die with your music still in you.  Read The Power of Intention."

As I weeded and pruned, still working in the same long neglected antique rose bed, then I extended it's border by another 150 square feet, I listened to Dr. David Cooper, my former pastor, preaching his anointed brains out in several podcasts.

The above quote is from Lifehackers whose blog post I subscribe to, needing inspiration and motivation each day.

I also read Dee's and loved this very short video in which I agree 100%.  Easy for me to agree as nearly all of my pursuits in life don't involve any money.  I could propagate (and sell) thousands of antique roses if I wanted, because money doesn't really matter to me.  I don't really need to buy food, I can grow it, and clearly fashion isn't a priority for me.

I wish I could tell you that I'd be a foster parent when my children are grown, I have room, knowledge of trauma and can speak enough Spanish to get by, but I won't do so because of the heinous way I've too often been treated by those who should know better.  I don't want to further stress my over-burdened heart.  There are some astonishing haters in this world.  I do want to try and provide help for others, and I suppose I'll do so via fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs and flowers.

I was supposed to do the fasting blood test this morning at my osteopathic physician's office, I've put off my visits due to money for about a year now, and I'm ditching today's appointment as well because I'm too dang hungry right now, plus JoJo has an orthodontist appointment first that'd mean even more fasting time for me.  Not gonna happen today, lemme tell ya.

Pastor Tony'd announced from the pulpit that our benevolence ministry at church would be helping out some single moms this Christmas.  My kids asked me later if that was me.  Nope.  I've never asked for help except in youth group activities like camps and retreats that I couldn't afford to send my kids to, yet I don't ask for help at Six Flags time, my kids just don't go then with the youth group, and they don't complain either, knowing I've figured out ways to make sure they've had their share of fun at other times. 

I point out our many blessings to them constantly, trying to focus on the positive, knowing that most likely the majority of my kids, like the majority of the world, will struggle financially in life.  Here y'all, lemme show you the many ways that life doesn't have to be expensive.

Daniel was quoting Dave Ramsey back to me over the phone yesterday, music to my ears, that he'd internalized all he'd learned from a financial genius.  Daniel's done very well and he always will do so.  He was reminding me of what Dave Ramsey has stressed about higher education, we were talking about Sabrina's future, and we are, of course, on the same page, stressing to a teenager the importance of not going into student loan debt, going to a cheaper college if that's what it takes, it's better to be educated and debt free than to be educated and struggling under enormous debt loads.

Somehow my electric bill was about $100 less than what I'd budgeted, eliciting a happy dance from this old fool.

I have a really good group of teenagers living here now, all 12 kids still at home are just nice ones.  Nice goes a long way in life and I'd recently seen a poster that said, "Word Hard.  Be Nice."  Keys to success and I agree wholeheartedly.

So in real life if money didn't matter, I would still want to do what I do.